Friday, October 29, 2010

Mudslide Cupcakes. Round 2.

Ok. It's official. The mudslide cupcakes are incredible, if I do say so myself. My manager's last day today was the perfect excuse to make them. I did tweak the recipe slightly. For this round, I used the Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes recipe from cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.

I also added a little under a teaspoon of espresso powder to the batter, and about a half a teaspoon of the espresso powder to the Kaluha frosting as well. Instead of using semisweet chocolate in the Kahlua frosting, I used 60% cocoa bittersweet chips. The result was equivalent to a chocolate covered espresso been. Fabulous!

When it came to actually frosting the little buggers, I also changed it up a bit. The Kahlua frosting is a completely different texture than the Baileys, much silkier and not as stiff. When I piped them in the same bag last time, it came out ok, but I had a hard time with it. So, this round, I put a layer of the Kahlua frosting on top of the cupcake, and then topped it with the Baileys. This should work out well, because the Kahlua frosting is very bold and could easily take over the flavor of the Baileys. We'll see. I topped them with a malted milk ball. YUM!




Mudslide Cupcakes 1



Mudslide Cupcakes 2

Mudslide Cupcakes 3



The full original recipe can be found here. I still have no idea how they got the Bailey's frosting to be so white, or the Kahlua frosting to be so dark. I used store bought Baileys for mine, but if anyone tries making the homemade, let me know how it turns out!

Here is my version of the frostings...

Butter Cream Frosting Base

• 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
• ¾ sugar
• Pinch salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into 16 pieces

Instructions:
1. Combine egg whites and sugar in a large heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over (not on) simmering water in a sauce pan and heat, whisking constantly until sugar has dissolved. The mixture is ready when with it is very warm to the touch, about 2 minutes and approximately 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
2. Remove from mixture from heat and transfer to a stand mixer bowl and beat on high until egg white mixture is fluffy, led to room temperature and holds stiff peaks, about 6 minutes.
3. Turn the speed to medium low, add salt and the butter a few pieces at a time, beating well after each addition. Turn the speed to high and beat until mixture is creamy, about 3-5 minutes more.
4.Put about 1/3 of the frosting into a seperate bowl. This will be the base for the Kahlua frosting.

Bailey’s and Chocolate Kahlua Frostings

To make the Baileys buttercream add 3 tablespoons of Baileys into one bowl and beat until combined.

To make the Chocolate Kahlua Frosting in the other bowl, add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 4 oz of melted bittersweet chocolate and 3 tablespoons of Kahlua and beat until combined.

Using a small spreader, spread the Kahlua frosting on the top of the cupcakes. Then, pipe the Bailey's frosting over each cupcake. Top with a malted milk ball or chocolate covered espresso bean.

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought of filling the cupcakes with one of the frostings and topping it with the other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of that! But, the chocolate frosting dries very firm and I was afraid it would break the cupcake.

    ReplyDelete